Hello,
The beta of the next version (5.3.0) of the Wikipedia app for iOS is now
available to beta testers on TestFlight.

This beta includes a few significant improvements:
 - Support for simplified and other Chinese character preferences for zh
Wikipedia
 - Major improvements in the loading and scrolling speed of the Explore
feed, and use of the feed API developed by the Android team[1]
 - Support for widgets on iOS 9
 - In the News items from the Main page now included in the feed (see also
Android)
 - Improved presentation of citations on iPad (phone coming in next beta)
 - Trending In the News push notification…

*About Notifications*
The iOS beta is also piloting a push notification[2] option for users. If
the user is interested, the app will notify them of new In the news items
from their primary language which meet a page view threshold. You can 3D
press the notifications to see more info, or tap through to read more.

This kind of content notification is a new concept for the Wikipedia apps
and we look forward to hearing from you and our users whether we should
keep it, and how to make it better.

*To sign up for the beta,* please go here: https://goo.gl/forms/
ifUKBVGgXzkbNv4q1

*If you are in the beta,* your feedback about the notifications is very
much requested here:
https://goo.gl/forms/REUQALjHCdAyQIP83

Thanks,
Josh

[1] See this blog post for more about the feed and API
https://blog.wikimedia.org/2016/07/28/wikipedia-android-redesign/
[2] See previous list announcement (https://lists.wikimedia.org/
pipermail/mobile-l/2016-June/010254.html) and blog post (
https://blog.wikimedia.org/2016/06/17/wikipedia-mobile/) about the
potential directions and plans for content notifications on apps