Formatting is the similar term for mobile device that's what we use in
formatting computer.
If you format your mobile phone, all your data with applications you
have downloaded will be erase and the device will come under factory
setting. Never the less, you may restore all your data later on.
The plus point of android is you may install the apps of your choice
which you've previously installed in your device as Google restore all
your data against your Google account you've registered with.

Thanks,

Amit Bhatt