Dear all,
In the fifteen minutes of my use of Android version 5.0.2 Lollipop on
my Motorolla G second generation, I have thoroughly disliked this new
update from an accessibility viewpoint.
For your information, I am using the latest stable version of Google
Talkback and ESpeak (by Caintewar Technologies).
Following are some issues that I've already discovered:
* muffled reading of initial alphabets - For example, if you swipe to
a control labelled as 'Apps', you will be read only a muffled and
rather inaudible 'ps'. This is especially problematic while reading
extremely short text, consisting of a single syllabled word or an
alphabet key on the on-screen keyboard.
* Recent Apps changes - I find the modifications in Recent Apps (its
new name is unintelligible because of the above issue) totally
redundant and unnecessary.
* unlocking the screen - Previously, I used to place y finger
approximately in the center of the screen, and then slide right to
unlock my screen, which was extremely convenient, while now I have to
locate a button and double tap on it to unlock my device.
* placement and activation of the Voice Input button - Using the
Google Keyboard, previously the Voice Input option was located to the
left of the Spacebar key, and could be activated by sliding to it and
lifting the finger, whereas now the Voice Input button is present to
the top right side of the keyboard area (which is less convenient than
its former location in my opinion) and needs to be activated by a
further double tap.
* prompt to complete certain action with which dialler - Although I do
not do anything related to phoning and dialling, whenever I unlock my
device, I am presented with a prompt asking me to choose the app with
which I would like to complete the action, apps are the Phone app and
DW Dialler. This issue began only after the Lollipop update.
* silence/no announcement to indicate volume change - When I press the
Volume keys of my device to change the media volume and the ringer
volume, Google Talkback gives no spoken feedback to indicate the
change. Instead, there is simply a vibration. This too did not occur
before the arrival of Lollipop.
I reiterate that I'm thoroughly disliking this update, apart from the
webviews accessibility improvements. Does the latest Talkback Beta
release fix any of the above mentioned issues, especially the first
one? I may consider joining the Beta testing team once again then.
Are there any other solutions to the above problem, especially the first one?
I would certainly like to courageously stay on Lollipop 5.0.2,
however, for my information, and if I change my decision, is
downgrading back to Kit Kat a wise decision in your opinion, and is
downgradation a simple task?
I would appreciate any assistance.
--
Warm Regards