I seem to have resolved the issue. The item to apply the effect to
must have childNodes. I had done it that way, but I assigned the z-
index to the inner div. after assigning it to the outer div, the
layering problems vanished.

Still got a little flicker going on with the first display, but I
think I'll find a workaround for that.

Rock on, MochiKit!

Juergen