Hello everyone!

I'm quite excited to have found MochiKit. Mostly because it seems to be
so well put together by the maintainers. But along with that the site
looks nice, there is lots of documentation, the examples are clean, and
knowing that the co-creator is co-founder of WDDG brings back fond
memories of skipping class and staying up late to work on my dinky
flash projects.

Currently I'm planning the third incarnation of a shopping cart that I
wrote for my employer. I'm going to start from scratch and want to
include lots of ajax-fancypants widgets.

I would like to query the list's experience on working efficiently with
large tables of data that are to be sorted and searchable. My tables
will be filled with things like customer, product, and order data.

I want to implement a "live search" where the user can simply type into
the search field and automatically remove the items that do not match
(By the way, is there an official term for this type of search?) as
well as sort the table once they are done searching.

Which option will be more efficient?

Do I:

A. make a call to the db each time a key is pressed to return a new
dataset?

or

B. return one initial dataset and use Mochikit to pare down the dataset
using regex?

Beyond that is it better to:

1. return my dataset in json or xml format? (And allow MochiKit to
handle the rendering and sorting of the table.)

2. Return my dataset already formatted in XHTML and allow MochiKit to
handle the sorting?

I know this email was long but I wanted to make an attempt at showing
people that I'm not completely asking someone to do my homework for me.
But since I'm coming into a completely new sphere of application
building I wanted to learn as much up front before I waste time testing
and relearning. (Kind of like how new programmers don't learn to
validate their user's input until after it's come back to bite them.)

Thanks,
Chris.