There is a ton of info on how to do ajax file uploads available via
search:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=com.ubuntu:en-US:official&hs=jVT&pwst=1&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=ajax+file+upload+javascript+&spell=1

Once you get an overall picture of how people are doing these things,
and once you have figured out how exactly you want to do it, then
check out the docs on mochikit.com for simplifying you ECMAscript
experience.