BTW, for the record, here's what I've found out so far...

* AFAICT you need to manually include the mochikit sources (via
<script>s, for example) in your overlay, and be careful to do so in an
order that respects dependencies.

* You can add a console object to the window and a log() method to it
that passes the argument through to dump().

* You can call LoggingPane.createLoggingPane() a bit after the browser
loads (being careful not to call it in the LoggingPane window itself!
for example ensuring that document.title doesn't contain
"LoggingPane"). Inline display doesn't work.

* Wasn't able to get it to work with firebug's console, but didn't try
very hard at all.

Would be interested in other/better solutions if anyone has them.

And, btw, thanks so much for this toolkit!