On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 6:15 AM, Amit Mendapara
<mendapara.a...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Again, I'm too, agree with Arner. Try to follow Python conventions as
> much as possible.
>
> startsWith => startswith
> endsWith => endswith

Perhaps not so surprising, but I don't agree on this.

Since we are working with JavaScript here, I think we should first and
foremost follow existing JavaScript conventions. Using camelCase
naming is very much one of those (see the minimal built-in library and
objects).

Python names are not automatically the best choice for people without
a strong background in Python. Some of us have other biases, being
more accustomed to Java or whatever.

> See `MochiKit.String.splitlines`, you can remove `splitJoin` as you
> one can easily do the same with `splitlines` (if it's all about
> triming newline chars).

I actually removed my own stripLines to replace it with splitJoin... :-)

The thing I realized, was that a stripLines() function also implied
the rstripLines() and lstripLines() functions. So instead I tried to
generalize it to a more generic form of map for strings. It is an
experimental API for sure, but I was curious if it could be useful for
more things. It is, after all, a version of map()...

But this is no darling API of mine. I've registered your vote in
disfavor. Any other opinions?

Cheers,

/Per