Thanks for the clarification, Bob!

Regarding the functions in questions I think other names might be in
place, to avoid misleading interpretations. What we're really doing
here is attempting to patch the poor JavaScript syntax and/or standard
library for function calls (i.e. call, apply, arguments and others).

The current MochiKit work-around for this is the excellent bind()
function (in its many incarnations). But it still has weaknesses,
since it doesn't allow us to do any of the following cool things:

1. Use the call-time 'this' object as an argument to the function (can
only be used as the object). If we had this, the "currying" mentioned
here would strictly be a version of bind().

2. Leaving gaps for call-time arguments in the list arguments set at
bind-time. Currently call-time arguments can only be appended to the
argument list.

3. Perform reordering of arguments. Typically inverse two arguments,
like in the startsWith discussion.

4. Perform random argument transformation. Using an array as the
argument list or vice versa. Or adding automatic flattening to
arguments.

The more I think about this, I tend to come to the conclusion that we
need something powerful enough to allow both the current bind() and
all of the above. Perhaps the syntax needn't be trivial, since we
could then add simplifying aliases for whatever common use-cases we
can identify.

One option, for example, would be a bind-version that would actually
map each function argument:

    caller(func, self, { value: "123" }, { arg: 3 }, { arg: 1 }, { arg: -1 });

Another might be to create higher order argument-mapping functions:

    var flip = function (func, self, args) { return args.reverse(); };
    caller(func, self, flip);

These were just two ideas off the top of my head. But I think we
should discuss more options here before plunging ahead and adding yet
another variant of bind to MochiKit. Although they might all be very
useful. It will slowly get too confusing for the average user.

Thanks for reading this far! :-)

Cheers,

/Per