I've had similar thoughts. jQuery is "king of the DOM" nowadays, no
need/use to compete with overlapping low-level features there. I think
the Python heritage should continue to be embraced though. When
looking at underscore lib I kindof like it but that's mostly because
lots of it already exists in MK ;) Looks like MK.Base + Iter interface
(but without actual iterator code).

I added couple of draft libraries to my MochiKit fork last year.
https://github.com/blq/mochikit -
http://blq.github.com/mochikit/doc/html/MochiKit/index.html

To keep things moving perhaps parts of these could be added?
Improved binding etc
http://blq.github.com/mochikit/doc/html/MochiKit/Base-ext.html
Resembles "rest of" the Python itertools module:
http://blq.github.com/mochikit/doc/html/MochiKit/Iter-ext.html
Resembles the Python Bisect module
http://blq.github.com/mochikit/doc/html/MochiKit/Bisect.html
Resembles the Python HeapQ module
http://blq.github.com/mochikit/doc/html/MochiKit/HeapQ.html
http://blq.github.com/mochikit/doc/html/MochiKit/Random.html
... (see the changelog)
Code annotation and build scripts to integrate with Google Closure
compiler is also added.

Feedback welcome!
Regards
// Fredrik Blomqvist