> Your analysis is correct, the route is not set to the new context but remains
> on the default bearer (which is also documented in the UBlox manual).
> This was my second approach to make it work: I implemented to set the default
> route after context activation using the uiproute command.
> This works for the telekom SIM cards.
>
> But then I discarderd this approach for two reasons:
>
> The UBlox manual explicitely requests not to change the default route.

Well sometimes changing the default route is actually the only way to
go, and this example you're using is one such case. As soon as you
have multiple primary LTE bearers connected, each with its own access
string and each with its own IP address, managing routes is required.

> This approach does not work for other SIM cards. If I remember correctly, the
> problem comes from providers that do not allow the creation of a secondary
> PDP context (e.g. Vodafone Germany, which are heavily used as M2M cards in
> embedded market here). Since the default APN as provided by the network is
> already connected, setting up the secondary context fails. I tried to detect
> the existance of the default connection, but that did not work out since the
> name of the default APN does not match the offical APN name. In addition,
> Modemmanager as of today tries to disconnect the default connection, which is
> prohibited by the ublox firmware (for that reason, disconnecting the default
> EPS and setting up a new one is as well not an option)

Yes, we get an error when we try to disconnect the default primary LTE
bearer in the TOBYs, but I believe we're ignoring that error. That is
something that would be avoided when using the new approach I'm
suggesting.

> Nevertheless, I will try to retest both approaches the next days and provide
> logs for the different approaches using differnet SIM cards (but I don't know
> when I will get the time to do it...).

No rush :) I think the discussion we're having already gives a lot of insight.

> BTW: The ublox documentation requests to set the default bearer using the
> UCGDFLT command when the network provided bearer does not provide internet
> connectivity.  So they seem to be aware of this problem....

Maybe this is just due to how u-blox decided to manage the logic
around the default route inside the module, because I have seen *no*
other modem requiring to change the default primary LTE bearer for the
connection to work when the user is explicitly requesting the
connection of a different primary bearer for data. Are all the other
modems switching the default route to the new user-activated primary
bearer instead? That could very well be a better default than leaving
the default route over the initial LTE bearer path.

--
Aleksander
https://aleksander.es