Hi Aleksander,

> We try to set 802.3 (with ethernet headers) and the modem returns "success"
> but with raw-ip as protocol instead. Looks like this device MUST be used in
> raw-ip mode. One thing to fix in our side is to check the returned protocol
> value in the Set Data Format reply, because here we just look at the
> "success" message and that's misleading.
>
> What kernel version are you using? You may need a kernel version >= 4.5 for
> this to work transparently: MM would ask what the protocol expected by the
> modem is, and then configure the kernel driver accordingly (instead of trying
> to force 802.3). Also, note that in raw-ip mode, the IP addressing setup
> won't be done via DHCP, but using the queried IP settings instead.

Thanks, this is valuable information! I actually stumbled upon something
similar when running

# qmicli -d /dev/cdc-wdm0 --get-expected-data-format
error: cannot get expected data format: Expected data format not retrieved
properly: Failed to open file '/sys/class/net/wwan0/qmi/raw_ip': No such file
or directory

I’m currently using a 4.1.x kernel. I’ll try with a 4.18.x kernel now. I’ll
keep you posted.

Best regards,
Sven