On 2018-11-12 03:02, Dan Williams wrote:
On Sat, 2018-11-10 at 16:34 +0100, Mateusz P wrote:
Hi,
I have a problem with modemmangager 1.6.8-2ubuntu1 and 1.8.2-1.

Modem: Ericsson H5321.
Computer: Lenovo ThinkPad X230.
Network: Aero2 BDI (Polish, APN darmowy).

The network (according to obtained licence for using radio spectrum
frequencies) is obliged to provide a service of a free Internet
access
with a few limits.
One of those limits is an automatic disconnection every (about) 1
hour.
In order to access the Internet again one needs to reconnect and
solve
the Captcha.

The first problem with the mentioned modem is that the disconnection
is
not visible to the user - the Network Manager works as if the
connection
would be still active - the Network Manager shows the connection as
still active and one needs to disconnect manually as there is no
Internet access.
Looks like the modem doesn't indicate disconnection via MBIM Basic
Connect Packet Service State.  When you think it's disconnected, could
you run:

mbimcli -p -d /dev/cdc-wdm3 --query-connection-state=0

I'm curious what the "Activation State" property will be when the modem
is disconnected.

If it reports that the activation state is disconnected, then we
probably need to implement support for the MBIM Basic Connect "Connect"
notification, or implement polling the state via
load_connection_status.

Dan
Hi,
Here is the result of the command after the Internet access was disconnected but claimed as connected by Network Manager (modemmanager 1.6.8-2ubuntu1):
[/dev/cdc-wdm3] Connection status:
          Session ID: '0'
    Activation state: 'unknown'
    Voice call state: 'none'
             IP type: 'ipv4'
        Context type: 'none'
       Network error: 'unknown'

It does not change after manual disconnecting and later reconnecting or turning off and on the network in the Network Manager.

In the meantime I found following the instructions described here solves the problem (with the exception that I have ommitted replacing idVendor and idProduct as there already was a corresponding rule in the file): http://blog2.vorburger.ch/2015/03/fixed-linux-ericsson-h5321gw-3ggpshspa.html
Not sure if that fixes the problem or only workarounds it, though.

Best regards,
Mateusz