Hey,

>>  an automatic setup for the US covering only the major operators
>> would be very easy
>
> I can see checkin's from 40+ unique countries just today, so I don't think
> I'm going to get off easy.
>
>> Different settings are for different things
>
> mhmm yes, I think maybe this highlights my over-assumption that I'm only
> considering the default for a data only connection plan.
>
>> I'm not totally convinced myself
>
> No worries, I really appreciate everyone's expertise here on the subject &
> it's best to know about the cliff that I'm going to have to walk off ><
>
>> Each time you get a SIM card, you usually get (at least in
>> Spain) a short leaflet with the APN settings to use with that SIM
>> card.
>
>  I believe people get hungry and eat these in route from the retail store to
> product installs :), sorry couldn't resist. I agree it really should be that
> easy but for some reason it's not.
>
>> I may like that as an optional non-default thing, though, but not sure
>> whether in ModemManager simple-connect or in NetworkManager in the
>> upper layers
>
> Do you think it'd be better as a hint system which resulted in a list of
> config's that a SIM might support, ie. no connection attempts. Implemented
> with just an execution switch which would then update an MM struct/stdout
> with an array of possible configs the user might consider. The supporting
> connection manager app could decide if/how they'd like to try the config
> array at it's discretion or if it could gather additional data from the user
> at that point to make the final decision, ie. we know you're this sim/carrier
> so we've narrowed it down to 3/4 plans you might use. This way NM could have
> a slight improvement in that it could at least narrow down a lot of choices
> that the setup is not?
>
> Sorry not trying to force this in MM, I just really value the expertise here
> and of course will do my best to help the project in return if I can make it
> useful enough.

This kind of application logic, I don't think it should be managed
inside ModemManager. I think that MM should be just a way to translate
a generic API into specific modem actions, and doing a "retry"
mechanism over multiple APN settings, that is not any kind of
translation of generic API into modem actions, it's just application
logic that would fit better in a connection manager on top of MM.
Unless there's anything specific to a modem implementation, I think it
should be managed by upper layers. It could even be a separate program
on top of NetworkManager!

--
Aleksander
https://aleksander.es