>  I don't think that CID=1 is always the one that the
> module expects to use as initial EPS bearer

I'd agree, but so far the small set of carriers we've seen requiring
specific PDP's have all been #1.

Didn't Verizon require to use CID=4 for the same purpose in their
> modems?

Vzw is a little odd, they require their default APN in context #3, but
apparently, and we've yet to make this work,
they(Vzw) say that if you use context #1, which auto populates with
'vzwadmin' will, after the first attach the carrier,
 self provision the rest of the context's.

Docomo in Japan wouldn't do 4G without use of context #1 populated.
SK Telecom in S. Korea wouldn't connect without using context #1, using
blank context #1 populated other context's

I recall a patch were we allowed specifying the CID to use explicitly

yes, and the non-simple interface. We still use it, and without it those
cases above would not work.