Hello Jessy,

On Sat, Sep 5, 2020 at 10:11 AM Jessy Exum <jessy.diamond...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello everyone, I hope this finds you well.
>
> I have been working on getting a product certified with Verizon, but
> failed because my first implementation did not handle their OTA-DM (Over
> the Air Device Management) <http://hosteddocs.ittoolbox.com/CC012507.pdf>
> behavior. This stage of certification relies heavily on creating bearers
> out of PDP context IDs (Verizon handles most of the messy bits in setting
> those contexts for you in the modem).
>
> My current solution is to manually read the PDP contexts off of the device
> with AT+CGDCONT=?, reading out the Verizon mandated PDP context, and then
> asking ModemManager to create a bearer out of that bearer configuration
> (which causes ModemManager to scan the list of contexts and find an exact
> match with the one we just read). This works, but it is cumbersome, and I
> hear that more networks are planning to move to a similar process in the
> future (Sprint already has, though I heard that is a little half baked).
>
> *Because of this, I feel it would be worthwhile to allow bearers to be
> created by specifying only a PDP context (and perhaps even an API backed
> way to inspect them).* This would make passing Verizon certification a
> lot less hackey than it currently is.
>
> I am happy to do as much of the work as necessary, but I want to know the
> community's opinion of this base proposal, and make sure anything that is
> built actually solves a problem and will be accepted.
>
> *Brief overview of the OTA-DM procedure
> <http://hosteddocs.ittoolbox.com/CC012507.pdf>:*
> I am not a cellular expert, so please forgive and correct any inaccuracies
> I may let slip in.
>
> For those unfamiliar (I know I was), Verizon has a procedure called OTA-DM
> for automatically determining the APN to use for a SIM card.
>
> Verizon has all compatible modems preloaded with a series of PDP contexts.
> These PDP Contexts are only available when the modem is running Verizon
> firmware (which is triggered when a Verizon SIM card is inserted).
>
> Verizon expects the initial attach bearer will be created from PDP context
> #1. This first bearer is only for notifying Verizon that we have attached,
> and will never pass user traffic.
>
> Once this initial bearer connects, Verizon and the modem talk for a while.
> In this conversation:
>
>    1. The modem reports details about its SIM card to Verizon,
>    2. Verizon checks its database to see if this is the last SIM card it
>    saw in this modem,
>    3. if this is not the SIM Verizon expected, Verizon will update the
>    modem's PDP contexts to the most up to date settings for this SIM.
>
> To clarify, this process will not happen every time you connect. A modem
> has to connect to Verizon with a different SIM card for Verizon to do this
> process again (flipping between SIMs for each connection would cause this
> process to happen for each connection).
>
> After this process completes, Verizon expects that the modem will connect
> [...]

There is an embryo of what you need in the SetInitialEpsBearerSettings().
For Cinterion modems on VZW networks, the latest MM upstream considers that
the modem will attach with CID#3. CID#1 is not used, but also should not be
overwritten.
I think CID#1 is used internally and transparently.

Ideally it should be possible to specify only the CID for activating a PDN,
however it is non-portable: modems using MBIM instead of AT commands don't
support the notion of CID at all.
I am not sure how VZW specifies the operations for these modems. I know
that for Cinterion modems AT and MBIM coexist whenever possible, but on the
MBIM_CONNECT there is no CID parameter, only APN (and
username/password/...).

Best Regards,
Giacinto