Ok,
I was struggling with getting mm built in my cross build environment and meson, but finally: With main branch it works: modem is recognized and connection is established and mm not crashing.

What about the version 1.20? On https://www.freedesktop.org/software/ModemManager/ there are no packets with version 1.20.x. are they nor officially released, though there are tags, or is there a new page to download from?

BR, Christian