> The fact that indie music gets heard in public places isn't all that bad,
is
> it?  I mean, I was kind of shocked when I heard stereolab in the volvo
> commercial, but it's about time they got paid for something.  and their
> music has the kind of post-modern/neo-classical vibe that I get whenever
> see a volvo....

i wouldn't mind owning a volvo, and i don't mind stereolab, so i think they
make a good team.  that maybe was the same reason that stereolab's music
was played in a volvo commercial :P  not cos of the money or any of that,
but maybe, just maybe they weren't thinking about 'low profile' status but
rather 'hey this might sound cool on a volvo commercial.'

> Just because an indie band is played somewhere commercial, it doesn't
mean
> the music's changed or will change, does it?  I mean, how many people on
> this list would know about indie music if it weren't for pavement's 'cut
yr
> hair' or sonic youth's 'dirty' or nirvana, or 120 minutes?  A lot of us
have
> college radio to rely on, and/or the internet, but we can't live in an
indie
> vacuum can we?

plus..i've discovered that people who listen to big bands really don't give
a flying crap about indie bands if they're played on a commercial or on tv
or what have you.  the media wasn't how i discovered the music i listen to
and i think it's the same for alot of people.  i think indie bands who've
stayed conveniently located at their indie labels without concernering
themselves with 'breaking through' on 120 minutes know what they're doing,
so i doubt being shown or played in corporate media is really gonna effect
their music.
- amy