I think the sale of the japanese tour ep is OK personally, because it is an
official release that the modest mouse guy made money from. though I
appreciate the mp3s immensely, and agree with you about the boots, I think
this may be going too far.  it's just a few steps away from saying "hey
don't bid on that interstate 8 cd! download it here....".  And I do realize
it is different......but at the same time these are songs which may very
well be coming out in the US sometime soon, on the new album, or in another
format.   I've sold my only copies of my modest mouse 7"s on ebay because I
was broke....for $5-$20.  But at the same time, I spent probably 10 times
that much in my time tracking these things down by browsing through loads
of 7"s used and new to find them, in many record stores in many different
cities.  It may have just been easier to pay 2-3 times as much in the first
place  to find them.  Same deal with the japanese tour ep.  If you tried
hard enough....it was possible to get a copy for $6. But these people who
spent the time to track it down.....well they have every right to sell it
on ebay if they want to.  If you want to complain about anyone's actions
here, it's probably modest mouse for making it so difficult to get what
they undoubtedly know will be appreciated universally by fans, not just the
ones in Japan.

Case in point---Warp Records recently released 3 peel session cds by
Autechre, Plaid, and Black Dog because mp3s of them had been so rampant.
(Even going so far as to packaging the cds in faux cd-r cases)    Belle &
Sebastian undoubtedly did the same thing about Tigermilk.  Certainly Modest
Mouse isn't oblivious to the fact that fans would want to hear these
songs....especially right after being picked up by a major label.

just my opinion of course.  I know everyone thinks I'm wrong. and
oh...nothing personal, just a topic that I wanted both sides to be
presented on. =)

-BILL