OK
I am going to take the subject of cool towns away from the north
northeast part of the
country and move it to the south. I am sure all of you out there have
heard of the
madness that goes on during spring break (soon to be thank God) in
Panama City, Fl.
This is true, by all means. However, if you ever find yourself in that
part of the states
there is a town just about 15 minuets (45 during Spring Break) to the
west called
Seaside, this is probably the niftiest coastal town I have ever been to,
and I grew up in a
coastal state. The whole town is done in pastels, it's basically a bunch
of summer homes
with a town center set right on a really old scenic highway that runs
neck and neck with
the Gulf Panhandle. It was first built back in the 70's (not sure
exactly) and was originally
a UCLA architectural class project, which ended up creating a life of
it's own. The coolest
thing about Seaside are the pavilions leading to the sea. Everyone is
different (usually
some art student's grad. project) and yet they have something of the
same in them. Here
are some links to check out.
Seaside, Fl.                                Panoramic View

-John