I just thought I'd put in my two cents on the new
Modest Mouse LP Moon and Antarctica. After listening
to it I have many mixed feelings since some of the
songs have been released in some form or another in
the past. It almost sounds as if they relied a little
too much on the "magic of the studio" for much of the
layering effects. Modest Mouse if definitely no
stranger to layering tracks to produce a rich sound of
various guitar sounds and even layering vocals at
times. All in all, their previous recordings have been
able to produce somewhat of a natural sound and even
sounded much like they do live. I can see where they
have always taken an experimental approach to their
music but in more of an acoustic live sound and seeing
what natural sounds they can get out of their
instruments rather than recording the tracks live and
have who ever mixed and produced the album to add all
those pretty little sound board effects. Anyway, I
might sound like I'm rambling, but I must say that I
am somewhat disappointed. I've never worried about
them "selling out" with their signing onto Sony/Epic,
but I did fear them taking songs we've all heard live
before and gotten to love them in their true live trio
sound, and become entangled with recording techniques
that muddy up the beauty of their music. Just my two
cents and I'd like to see who would agree or disagree.

-todd