From: Mark Richardson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, June 16, 2000 12:17 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [MMouse]: Re: initial reaction (not so sugar-coated)

I can see people not digging the new album, it does sound a lot
different from their older stuff. But make no mistake, M&A sounds
EXACTLY like Isaac and the band want it to sound, it has nothing to do
with what Epic wants. Brian Deck, the guy who produced the album, is the
architect behind the Red Red Meat sound (which two guys from Califone
are in) a sound (and band) that Isaac happens to love. Brian Deck has
never, to my knowledge, had a major-label production credit before, in
fact I think he's only produced a few of those Perishable bands (oRSo,
Drumhead) that no one has ever listened to. So whatever you think of the
sound of the new album, don't for a second think it had anything to do
with what Epic wanted. Isaac loves that fuller sound and he worked with
guys whom he thought could help him get it. He was sick of that thin,
K/Up/KRS business, and I don't blame him.