Any of you who are interested in good, solid, funny, brilliant modern writing should
check out the british author David Lodge.  His new
one, "Home Truths", is good, but for the absolute best, funniest stuff, check out the
Academia Trilogy: Changing Places, Small World, and
Nice Work.  Changing Places is the most adventurous, Small World is the funniest (my
laughing woke my roommate up through two walls and a
bathroom), and Nice Work is just plain good.  Check Lodge out--I promise you'll be
doing yourself a favor.  I've never met anyone, from
english professors to coolies, who didn't like his writing.

-Dan