> I never knew anyone disliked the smiths, duran duran and elvis costello.
(not
> to mention bright eyes).  But I have changed my mind. I do not think you
are
> insane. I just feel bad for you. have a nice day.
> .mer.

well i'd rather be pitied than like any of those bands.  i'm not gonna
conform to your musical tastes - whether good or bad - just so i can be
assured that i'm ok for liking whiny britpop!  as if there aren't enough
fans of the smiths now, duran duran, and bright eyes now! ;)

------
> a) can you base this argument on how they looked? "long hair, no
> shirt"? i don't think the Beatles looked "cool" half the time,
> but that didn't affect the quality of the music they put out.
> b) i was under the impression we were talking about opinions,
> not facts. i.e., you think Zeppelin sucks, most ppl don't.
> and if i think they do fall into the same category as the
> Beatles than they do, in my mind, and if they don't in yours, so
> be it. but you can't define that for other ppl.

no, but there isn't a way to get you to see that the beatles and led
zeppelin in no way sound the same.  led zeppelin is post-rock and roll if
anything.  this is about the only thing of any of my arguments that i don't
consider just an opinion.  even if i thought they were a good band, they
still would sound nothing like the beatles or the rolling stones.

> oh i seeee! if YOU like the band, then they can't be held
> responsible for inspiring shitty bands? but if you DON'T like
> the band (Zeppelin), then they can be held responsible? you are
> making NO SENSE.

well we're talking about opinions, right?  i'm not saying that if they
influence shitty bands, it's not their fault.  i'm saying that it makes it
ten times worse when a shitty band influences other shitty bands.  pay
attention, son!  i never said what you're implying i said nor did i think
it.

> maybe instead of blindly hating something, you should try to
> UNDERSTAND why something was influential. here is an example: i
> am not a fan of lots of bands/artists or types of music
> [examples: Prince, Elvis Presley, Hendrix, Joy Division,
> country/blues, etc] BUT i can understand and appreciate why they
> were important/influential. they were usually breaking new
> ground, being creative/innovative, etc, although the particular
> style/sound/whatever is not palatable to me.

i understand why they're influential, i just don't embrace it or care!  ahh
behold the power of opinions ;)

> ummmm hello? i don't think you quite got what they were stating.

no, i didn't.  you're right, i just guessed.

 hmmm...i don't recall that. but i do recall you saying "it's
> true" a lot when referring to your opinion of Zeppelin

yay for you.  time to go back into the modest mouse archives and look up
"in my opinion" because i know how much you care.
- amy