Hello y'all. You know, I've been thinking this Fat Albert thing over a while
and it does seem as though this show was a bit offensive (are there any
African-Americans on this list, and if so, what is your opinion of Cosby's
portrayal of African-American youths?). Nearly every one of the characters
had a "disability" of sorts. Albert= weight issues, "Dumb Donald"=
Dyslexia/ADHD?, Mushmouth=Speech impediment... I guess Cosby's intention was
to affirm the worth of all these individuals even though they all (like all
of us, really) have something "wrong" with them on some level. I guess this
is what makes us special (according to Cos)...

I'm continuing my research into the "Fat Albert" issue (maybe I'll do my
Master's thesis on it next year....) and have found some more tidbits. First
off, I've found some sources indicating that it IS IN FACT TRUE that Bill
Cosby is a bit disdainful/embarrased at the apparent "political
incorrectness" which the show seems to portray from our contemporary
perspective on such issues and he has apparently pressured Hallmark
Entertainment (owners of the "rights" to the show) to not re-air it in any
form either on t.v., or on video. Apparently there are some very rare video
tapes of the show from the eighties on the black market and those few that
are mint and unopened can go for over 100 bucks!

Check out this cool pic:
http://www.fortunecity.com/lavender/turnpike/237/albert.jpg

I guess I've started to beat a dead horse since there don't appear to be too
many more unanswered questions in the case of  "The  mysterious
Disappearance of Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids. By the way, did any of you
see the Saturday Night Live skit a few years back where they did a "Fat
Albert/Cosby Kids 'Where Are They Now'"(a la VH1). Hilarious!

My next mission if I choose to accept it, will  be to find out what happened
to all of those lame toy-based cartoons of the 1980's like "Laser Tag" and
"Rubick's Cube" ( I sure hope I'm not the only one old enough to remember
these gems...). Maybe there's a "story behind these" as well, or perhaps
they just really sucked and that's why we don't see reruns of them...

Jason