well, I think that maybe we are getting a bit off topic now...

however, for those who wish to continue...

I wasn't suggesting that RPMs in general were bad (as I said, I am RPM
impaired).  To the contrary, I think that in order for Linux to succeed, it
needs an InstallShield type of tool - RPMs fill that need quite nicely, and
I still depend on them for stuff like Netscape, Gimp, etc.  I didn't mean to
offend, really, or start another holy war ;)

However, my experience with the mod_perl RPM from RH5.2 was not the
greatest.  Others have had similar experiences to mine.  It also appears,
from the comments today, that the 6.0 RPMs are working out of the box, which
is a good thing.  I agree that having a working RPM at first is great, and
that compiling your own is a better way to learn various nuances.  Actually,
if the RPM were fully tricked out, that would probably be best (libapreq and
all) so that when someone reads the eagle book and tries an exercise, they
aren't confused because a mod_perl part wasn't enabled.

I don't think that we ought to be assuming that everyone has make, gcc, and
other such tools as standard equipment.  As Linux rolls out into the
mainstream (more than it already is, that is) you can be less certain of
things like that.  I think that my old 5.2 install had a development check
box during the custom install that I left unchecked, so make was not part of
my system initially.  At the time, I was just messing around.  When I
decided to get a little more serious about stuff, figuring out what was
missing was a chore.

But hey, isn't the point of the Guide to provide info like that - getting
off the ground type of stuff?  Given the discussion thus far, maybe a
section on RPMs is necessary, if just to dispel the rumors that mod_perl
RPMs are bad (you just need the right ones?)  And I still think that, since
the Guide explains how to roll your own mod_perl, that the tools needed to
do it would help lots of folks.

--Geoff