"Joe Pearson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> What about raw partitions on linux.  I thought linux does not support
> raw partitions (maybe this has changed?)   Since Sybase really
> recommends databases be put on raw partitions so that disk writes are
> not buffered by the OS.

Strangely, I seem to remember on the "Sybase Performance Tuning"
course I went on, the opposite view was taken, since maximum use was
made of cool facilities in the operating system if you went over the
filesystem. This was Sybase 10 though so it may well have changed
since then.

And YMMV.

--
David Hodgkinson, Technical Director, Sift PLC    http://www.sift.co.uk