Gary,
These are two command that we've tested in perl script and it printed out
hello as it is supposed to(the second example).
${system(echo hello)}
${system('echo hello')}

We tried to put this into a form on the web and see what Embperl would do
with this. And we got nothing. It inputted both of these statements into
the database as a string. Is there anything in embperl that prevents from
this call going to the system? This code produced errors on a different
page that we use to authenticate passwords where this code was looked at
by DBI and tried to create an SQL call (following is the err msg)
[17074]ERR: 32: Line 14: Warning in Perl code: DBD::mysql::st execute
failed: You have an error in your SQL syntax near 'echo hello')}')' at
line 1 at /usr/lib/perl5/SQLHANDLE.pm line 118.

So, both of these pages are embperl pages,but why the error in one place
and not in the other?

-Akshay