I've found SSI to be often problematic since when
it doesn't work, it does so silently like you are saying.

Your syntax below looks fine, so I'm no help there,
but if you want other options, the modperl modules
Apache::SSI, and Apache::ASP will also handle the
include file SSI directive.  These modules are nice too
because they allow you to sprinkle perl code in your
pages as well.

--Joshua
NODEWORKS >> free web link monitoring   Huntington Beach, CA  USA