On Thu, 21 Oct 1999, Shay Mandel wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to install mod_perl within the apache (statically linked).
>
> I would like to leave the machine's perl as is, and not to change it at
> all.
>
> So, as I run 'make install' I am not using the root user, and then I get
> the error - cannot write to /usr/loca/bin/perl5......
> I do not want to write anything there.
>
> I have created this makepl_args.mod_perl:
> APACHE_SRC=/www/apache/v1.3.9/src \
>      PREFIX=/www/apache/v1.3.9 \
>      PREFIX=/www/apache/v1.3.9 \
>      DO_HTTPD=1 \
>      USE_APACI=1 \
>      PREP_HTTPD=1 \
>      EVERYTHING=1
>
> Isn't that enough ? what else should I do ? Or must I use the root user,
> and have the machine's perl changed a bit ?

It's trying to install the Apache::* libraries and documentation there. I'm
guessing, but there should be a Makefile.PL somewhere that you can run with:

perl Makefile.PL LIB=/www/apache/perl/lib

to install in that directory instead. However I don't know if that Makefile
will get overwritten by the build process (if so you can add that option to
the call to WriteMakefile() in Makefile.PL in your editor).

After all that you'll have to have some way to add that new perl libs
directory to @INC before mod_perl starts. I don't know how to do that but I
assume it's possible. Probably as simple as:

<Perl>
        use lib '/www/apache/perl/lib';
</Perl>

in your httpd.conf - but I'm guessing.

--
<Matt/>

Details: FastNet Software Ltd - XML, Perl, Databases.
Tagline: High Performance Web Solutions
Web Sites: http://come.to/fastnet http://sergeant.org
Available for Consultancy, Contracts and Training.