> * Most CGI apps do text processing, where perl excels at
>
> Well, if the trend continues we ought to learn Java some day :)

Java is magnificent, but VERY BURDENSOME when it comes to doing any kind
of text processing or designing tricky structures. There are plenty of
packages and tools written for Java that make it POSSIBLE to do it all,
but it is still very AWKWARD to code, as the language is the same.

Java is good for very technical applications, not good at all when you
want to relax and program to have fun.

I don't really think it will become a competitor for clever and
ambitious projects.

Victor.