> So I'm starting development on a project with multiple components
> which will
> be talking to an Oracle 8 database, and I'm trying to understand what the
> various options are.
>
> The project will consist of HTML::Embperl pages, modperl CGIs, and random
> Perl processes, all of which will connect to the database.
>
> The questions I have mostly pertain to database connection caching.  There
> seem to be three different modules that all purport to cache the database
> connection:  DBI itself (using connect_cached), Apache::DBI, and
> DBD::Proxy.

Apache::DBI caches the database handle, while connect_cached cache the
statement handle, so you could/should use both together. That's the way I
would go, but it doesn't will help you with your (non-mod_perl) cgi scripts.
If you want to speed them up, you need DBD::Proxy.

Gerald

Gerald Richter      ecos electronic communication services gmbh
Internet - Infodatenbanken - Apache - Perl - mod_perl - Embperl

E-Mail:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]         Tel:        +49-6133/925151
WWW:        http://www.ecos.de      Fax:        +49-6133/925152