Stas - many many thanks for your help.  greatly appreciated - i was really
panicking at the time.

In the end, I found that if I set CC=the original gcc binary, then I could
compile the pgcc binary correctly, and now I have a working version of the
compiler I originally wanted.

Along these lines, I see in your guide that you say that perl and mod_perl
have to be compiled with the same compiler.  So if I am planning on
recompiling Apache and mod_perl with pgcc to give me the two server setup, I
will need to recompile Perl as well.

I am doing this on a live server.  What do I need to do to stop my current
Perl setup working in case everything goes horribly wrong? (my fear is that
recompiling perl will overwrite some libraries that the running system
needs)

Could I recompile perl in a new directory, then change a symlink over from
one binary to the other and all would be OK?  Or is it more complex than
that.