On Sun, Nov 07, 1999 at 11:30:49PM +0200, Stas Bekman wrote:
> > Stas Bekman wrote:
> > >
> > > Sure, compile static mod_perl. DSO is not stable.
> > >

> > Stas -
> >
> > Not stable? Thats news to me and probably a lot of others who build DSO
> > modules for apache this way. OK, what is the best way to build it
> > statically?
>
> Well, I don't have the numbers, but think about 40% of problem reported
> lately were due to DSO builds. Once backed to static the problems were
> reported to be gone.
>
> I don't use DSO, may be someone who does can clear things out? Why there
> are so many problems with DSO. The best answer I heard so far: "DSO isn't
> stabilized yet." So I have just repeated it for you, Michael.
>
> Come on, are we on a techical list or what? Anybody care/know to explain
> when this [DSO] would change for good? I could dig the info about DSO at
> apache.org, but it doesn't help...

I am running my servers with everything DSO, and they work fine. The
main problem about the DSO thing is that even though you seperately
compile things, everything must use a coherent set of pre-processor
flags and other compiler options. One may not forget that even though
things are compiled seperately it executes all in one process space.
Nearly all of the problems I have heard were problems of incompatible
settings for the compiler defines and options, with the worst case
being the attempt to use different compilers. The perl developers for
example did construct their build system for DSO's very reasonably, and
they do fix compiler and options for plug-ins very rigorously.

--
Jens-Uwe Mager

HELIOS Software GmbH
Steinriede 3