> <%
> if($pid = fork) {
> %>
>     DONE...
> <%
> } elsif(defined $pid) {
>     system("java PursuitSpider > stdout.txt");
>     system("gzip stdout.txt");
> }
> %>

> ok but I end up with a defunct libhttpd.ep process left around.

You need to exit after the second system(). However, you have a
presumably huge mod_perl process only running two system() calls, so I
suggest you use exec() instead of system() + exit().

One catch: you have to commands to execute and not one. exec()uting the
following small sh script would do the trick:
    #!/bin/sh
    java PursuitSpider > stdout.txt
    gzip stdout.txt
or you could call exec() as follows:
    exec('sh -c "java PursuitSpider > stdout.txt; gzip stdout.txt"');

Btw, I believe Java has built in support for gzip compression in the
java.util.zip package which is part of the java API.

ELB

--
Eric L. Brine  |  Chicken: The egg's way of making more eggs.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  |  Do you always hit the nail on the thumb?