Being fairly new to mod_perl I'd like to ask for an opinion and advice on
feasibility of writing an AccessHandler to act as a "front-end" to an
(Authen|Authz)Handler.

Basically what I'd like to do is have the whole site covered by one
<Location /> passing all requests to the AccessHandler which then would
consult an external database on what directories require furher
authentication, but otherwise just pass the request on to content delivery.

Motivation for this is the ability to write a cleaner administrative UI to
defining directories requiring authentication (no multiple .htaccess files
or lots of <Location>s).

When encountering a request to a directory requiring authentication the
AccessHandler would use push_handlers() to install the (Authen|Authz)Handler.
I guess having 'Satisfy any' and 'require valid-user' in the central
<Location /> would allow this scheme to actually work.

I understand that this might be quite a resource intensive solution, but
that is okay. I am more interested in knowing whether this would work - or
better yet, what'd be the right way to do it.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               fishpool creations oy ltd
http://www.kasvua.org/~toivotuo/          http://www.fishpool.fi/