At 10:13 AM 11/17/99 -0500, Bill Marrs wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I run a couple web sites that use mod_perl to generate every page.  The
>site is working well, but the CGI syntax of the links I use (e.g. pages
>looking like "http://host/myscript.pl?name=value&session=foo") has some
>drawbacks.

><snip>

>If I can change a request for /users/bill.html into a call to my mod_perl
>script with extra path_info of ("/users/bill.html"), my script could
>examine the path_info and figure out that it should load the "user=bill" page.
>
>I figure this is an Apache config file issue, but given that I'm using
>mod_perl, that config may be trickier.

Yes, it is basically an apache config/mod_rewrite question. We do what you
are trying to do using mod_rewrite, and use mod_perl/Registry to run the
script.

We serve documents with URLs of the form  XX9999999999999999.html (2
alphabetical + 17 numeric). The rewrite rule to invoke the script with the
id as an argument is

RewriteRule ^/([A-Z]{2}[0-9]{17}\.[a-z]+)($|\?) /perl/ourscript.pl?recid=$1
[L,QSA]

followed by the appropriate <files> or <directory> section to invoke
Apache::Registry, much as you specified in your post.

Hope this helps.

- Simon

>Bill Marrs

Simon Rosenthal ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Web Systems Architect
Northern Light Technology       222 Third Street, Cambridge MA 02142
Phone:  (617)577-2796  :       URL:  http://www.northernlight.com
"Northern Light - Just what you've been searching for"