> If each transaction lasts a
> couple of seconds, it this a Bad Thing?

I have always wondered about the point of using Mod_Perl vs Mod_CGI
where the program takes a couple of seconds to run completely.
To put it another way. Mod_Perl saves you some valuable time
which can make a difference if you have normal CGI programs
which run in the milliseconds. But who cares about a couple of 100 millis
if your program needs a couple of 1000 millis to complete?

It seems to me that it is probably better to just use a light weight
apache which is more parallel and easier for such applications.

My questions is how slow in seconds can a CGI be, before it is too
slow for Mod_Perl to help?

This whole line of reasoning assumes that:
1) The CGI cannot be sped up by caching or leaving stuff resident in memory.
2) The CGI doesn't take seconds to load itself in memory in addition to its
   seconds of time that it takes to run.