> On Fri, 19 Nov 1999, Jeffrey Baker wrote:
>
>          if (defined @foo_in) {

# On Fri, 19 Nov 1999, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:
#
# defined @bar and defined %bletch are almost never correct, and any
# seasoned Perl hacker knows to watch for those as a red flag.

> On Mon, 22 Nov 1999, Jeffrey Baker wrote:
>
> Regarding your question of Nov 3 [regarding `make test' failure],
> I don't see any cause for alarm.  Are you seeing problems on actual
> code, or only [sic] in the test harness?
>
> All of my production mod_perl systems are fine, even though I've
> never bothered to look into why make test was failing.
> Are you planning to use Apache::src in your system?

= In 1998, Lincoln Stein and Doug MacEachern wrote:
=
=  ``Any messages about failed tests, however, are cause for concern.
=    If you see such a message, you should rerun the tests with the
=    verbose flag (make test TEST_VERBOSE=1).  You can try to track
=    down the problem yourself, or post the results to the mod_perl
=    mailing list...''
=                                                  -- the Eagle Book

Dear Mr. Baker,

If you have "never bothered" to find out why `make test' is failing
then obviously you don't have any "production mod_perl systems".  In
the light of the comments from Mr. Schwartz, it looks like you have
only development systems that haven't gone wrong yet, and that a lot
of other people might be in the same boat, thanks to you.

This has cost me nearly four weeks already, and I dread to think how
many other people have wasted their time because you never bothered.

For me, your slapdash approach has polluted the mod_perl resource to
the extent that now I don't trust any of it.  The entire exercise is
written off to experience and I am looking for alternatives.

Earlier in November, Stas Bekman put out a message saying something
like: "Come on, guys, let's get some of this stuff to work".

Surely no-one can be content with the state things are in at present?

Kind regards,
Ged Haywood.