> I must have now installed mod_perl a dozen times on a dozen machines and
this is the first time I've come across this problem and I can't seem to
solve it...nor have I had any luck through FAQs, DejaNews or even newsgroup
postings :(

> I have an RH Linux 6.1 box.  I currently have Apache 1.3.9 running on the
server.  My problem is when I attempt to compile mod_perl...this is what I
get...

> <snip>
> SSL_BASE=/usr/local perl Makefile.PL EVERYTHING=1 DO_HTTPD=1
> Appending mod_perl to src/Configuration
> Using config file: /usr/home/sysadm/mod_perl-1.21/src/Configuration
> Creating Makefile
>  + configured for Linux platform
>  + setting C pre-processor to gcc -E
>  + checking for system header files
>  + adding selected modules
>     o ssl_module uses ConfigStart/End
>       + SSL interface: mod_ssl/2.4.9
>       + SSL interface build type: OBJ
>       + SSL interface compatibility: disabled
>       + SSL interface experimental code: disabled
>       + SSL interface vendor extensions: disabled
>       + SSL interface plugin: Configured DBM (-ldbm)
>       + SSL library path: /usr/local
>       + SSL library version: OpenSSL 0.9.4 09 Aug 1999
>       + SSL library type: installed package (stand-alone)
>       + SSL library plugin mode: none
>  + enabling Extended API (EAPI)
>  + checking sizeof various data types
>  + doing sanity check on compiler and options
> ** A test compilation with your Makefile configuration
> ** failed. This is most likely because your C compiler
> ** is not ANSI. Apache requires an ANSI C Compiler, such
> ** as gcc. The above error message from your compiler
> ** will also provide a clue.
> </snip>
>
> This DOES NOT happen if I attempt to compile Apache on it's own...this
error only occurs when I attempt to do an HTTPD build through mod_perl.
 Now the one thing I have discovered is 95% of the time the test
compilation error is not because of the compiler not supporting ANSI (I'm
using the latest gcc btw) but is just something failed in the compiling
whether it be a configuration error, problem running a function etc...  The
main problem is that I don't receive any additional error messages so I
don't know what the real problem is.  I have also tried using gcc with the
-ansi switch as well just to be on the safe side but that didn't help
either.

> Has anyone ever encountered anything like this before?  Or have any ideas
on what may be causing this error?

Apache was recently patched so that the original error mesage is
printed out, because as you say it's often not a problem with the
compiler being ANSI or not. So you might want to grab a CVS snapshot
of Apache, unless you can wait for 1.3.10 which will be out in a couple
of weeks I believe.

--
Eric