On Thu, 9 Dec 1999, Gerald Richter wrote:

> Rereading your first mail, seems to me that there is an additional problem
> with Embperl's cleanup. This has nothing todo with Safe namespaces. Embperl
> will per default tidyup your namespace and therefor execute something like
> $vars = undef at the end of the first request.
>
> Try adding the additional parameter
>
> 'cleanup' => -1
>
> which will disable cleanup at all, add $CLEANUP{'vars'} = 0 inside your
> template, which should disable the cleanup only for that variable.

That will work for this trivial example, but we have 107 templates on our
site, each with 10 to 100 variables, and changing them all would be
difficult, to say the least.  Worse, if we missed one, we'd have those
subtle bugs that are only occasionally apparent, but can cause real
damage.  Imagine if your credit card number was inadvertently passed to
another customer in the template because we forgot to undef a variable?

I think the right approach is to probably track down the cause of the
variables not being undefined in the first place.  I suppose I'll start
hunting down the reason why this is occurring.  Wish me luck.  Any
pointers as to where to focus are appreciated, of course.  :)

Thanks,

-DeWitt