Thanx Stas,

> Doesn't it print the reason for the failure? Is your code looking like:
>
> man DBI:
>              $dbh = DBI->connect($data_source, $username, $password)
>                        || die $DBI::errstr;
>
> I mean, do you use $DBI::errstr?
>
> It can be a permission problem, your script is running under the username
> of the server...

Yes, apache really says:

DBI->connect failed: connectDB() -- connect() failed: Connection refused
Is the postmaster running at 'localhost' and accepting connections on Unix
socket '5432'?

But this problem only occurs while running under mod_perl. Offline and
with PerlRun all seems OK. PostgreSQL + database is open on both hosts
via port 5432. Also I found nothing like:

  No pg_hba.conf entry for host 141.99.3.17, user volker, database spix

in postgres.log.

--
EMail: Volker Hess <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Uni-GH Siegen . Medienzentrum