This is the same problem I've been struggling with.

What has fixed it for me is building Apache and mod_perl from the tar
archives and linking Apache statically (no .so's).

I haven't investigated much further, but even after I built Perl, Apache,
and mod_perl by hand it still happened.  Only when I switch to a non-DSO
Apache did it work for me.

-bill