Hi there,

On Sun, 19 Dec 1999, Dmitry Beransky wrote:

> I'll try compiling within Apache's source tree tomorrow.

When I did that it caused `make test' to fail.  I had Apache in
/usr/local/apache and mod_perl in /usr/local/apache/mod_perl.

Linux 2.0.34 on PentiumII PC, Perl 5.005_03, libc5, static.

After a month I gave up and did a completely clean reinstall of
everything, including the operating system, on a new machine.  I put
mod_perl at the same level as Apache, with soft links (which seems to
be the Slackware Linux culture).

/usr/local/apache   -> /usr/local/apache_1.3.9
/usr/local/mod_perl -> /usr/local/mod_perl-1.21

It worked first time.  Grrrrr.

A couple of people later said they saw no reason for using soft links
in the way that I did, and [EMAIL PROTECTED] said he'd had problems
until he used hard links.  I'm still running with the above setup and
I've seen no problems.

Hope this helps.  If you succeed, please let me know.

73
Ged.