    Trevor> This works fine, except "the.other.machine" gets the Host
    Trevor> header as "the.other.machine" and NOT whatever is passed
    Trevor> to the proxy by the client. As a result, virtual servers
    Trevor> with the same IP but different name are NOT working!

Do you actually need virtual hosts in the mod_perl server or would URI
namespace spereation accomplish what you want? For instance:

<VirtualHost host1:80>
ProxyPass        / http://the.other.machine:80/host1/
ProxyPassReverse / http://the.other.machine:80/host1/
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost host2:80>
ProxyPass        / http://the.other.machine:80/host2/
ProxyPassReverse / http://the.other.machine:80/host2/
</VirtualHost>

--
Stephen

"If I claimed I was emporer just cause some moistened bint lobbed a
scimitar at me they'd put me away"