I looked at the archive, and noticed Doug's patch in perl_conf.c:

http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/182/1999/7/0/2414262/

-        hv_store(nhv, (char*)key, klen, rv, FALSE);
+        hv_store(nhv, (char*)key, klen, SvREFCNT_inc(rv), FALSE);

As far as I can tell (from finding perl_conf.c on this machine) it already
has this patch.  Running Apache 1.3.9 and, I think*, mod_perl-1.21.  Perl
is 5.005 and Sun 2.6. I'm not running Apache::StatINC, but PerlFreshRestart
is on.  Although mod_perl looks statically linked, Apache does have DSO
support, and mod_rewrite is pulled in this way.

* I didn't build the production Apache where the error is showing up.  I
did build the Apache where I was testing and I didn't see the error.

The sparse and infrequent error message makes this hard to track down.  Any
suggestions on how I can narrow down where to look?

Thanks,

Bill Moseley
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]