On Sun, Jan 09, 2000 at 08:45:11PM +0000, G.W. Haywood wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Jan 2000, Randy Harmon wrote:
>
> > Does anybody have experience detecting such a condition, perhaps through one
> > of the client headers?  I haven't had a chance to dump them - many hats.
>
> No idea - ditto.
>
> > In any case, I could use some Javascript to package up the machine's
> > current time and send it back to the server, for instance at the
> > same point where I check whether a cookie was accepted.  That'd
> > indicate their "Javscript-OK"-ness too.  I think I'm willing to
> > assume that someone clueful enough to turn off Javascript is clueful
> > enough to have the correct time.
>
> You might want to look at the excellent ntpd documentation which talks
> about things like network delays.  I think your Javascript idea is as

Fortunately, network lag only works in our favor when it comes to this
technique.  So it expires a few hundred milliseconds in the past instead of
"now"... no biggie to me.

> good a solution as you're going to get until the Web Comes Of Age.
> Don't know what you're going to do when I visit with Lynx though...

I'm going to hope that Lynx is smarter than Netscape on this point, and
assume that you're clueful enough to have the correct time.

> Well, at least my clock _will_ be right, I run a level 3 timeserver.

He... I'm with you.  Oh, good, my assumption was right. :)

Randy