... exccept taht will give you the authenticated user name, as in, the name
entered at the Authentication phase.

When Nicholas says the authentication
is handled at the "script level", I assume that he means that it is handled
during the content generation phase. I would write a separate module or
registry script and put that in place as a PerlAuthenHandler. All it has to
do is return AUTH_REQUIRED to deny access, OK to allow access, based on
whatever means you are using (cookies are available at this point, you just
can't send HTML to the browser), or DECLINED to let Apache or another custom
module handle it.

After this point, yes, $r->connection->user will give you the username that
was entered, and ($r->get_basic_auth_pw)[1] will return the password that
was entered.

darren

--
If all the world is a stage, where is the audience sitting?