Alan Burlison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Note that the SEGV only happens when Apache/perl/modperl are dynamically
> linked.  Statically linked code behaves fine.  I'm wondering if the
> mod_perl code goes down a different code path if it is dlopen'd rather
> than being statically linked.

Apache reloads itself during initial startup, to ensure that possible
configuration errors that might cause problems later (e.g. when
rotating logs) are caught as soon as possible.  The combination of
this procedure with mod_perl and certain operating systems leads to
the symptoms that you are seeing.  Typically, a SEGV is occurs when
accessing the boot routine of the first dynamically-loaded perl-XS
module.  Close tracing will show that it happens the second time
through, during the trial reload, and that the symbol table used by
dlopen has been shot to hell.  If you can find and fix this bug, you
will be awarded the mod_perl Nobel prize.

--
Frank Cringle,      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
voice: (+49 2304) 467101; fax: 943357