Stas Bekman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Just read the mod_ssl vs. apache_ssl thread at /.org:
> http://slashdot.org/apache/99/12/22/1711203.shtml
>
> jimjag claims that DSO is slower than static builds at the runtime:
> <QUOTE>
>
> Q: Why has using DSOs anything to do with run-time performance? I always
> thought using DSOs just slows down the startup.
>
> A: Not at all. The code produced with DSOs, as well as the way modules are
> implemented, is less optimal than the non-DSO alternative. If you need
> best performance, avoid DSO.  This is covered in the Apache performance
> docs.
>
> </QUOTE>
>
> What do DSO benefactors have to say :)

I'm not a DSO advocate, but I think they would say that DSOs simplify
software distribution.  If each contributed Apache mod_whatever only
worked when statically linked, what would RedHat distribute?  The same
argument applies in webhosting server farms where different customers
have different requirements.

--
Frank Cringle,      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
voice: (+49 2304) 467101; fax: 943357